It's only with the HEART one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eyes.
真正重要的东西是肉眼无法看见的,只有用心灵才能看清事物的本质。
~Le Petit Prince, novel by Antoine de Saint Exupery~

Friday, December 17, 2010

Puan Vasanthi

She is my 伯乐 - the person who discovers and is willing to polish my talent in public speaking. It all started four years ago......

When I was in Form 3, I was selected to present syarahan in BM during school assembly in conjunction with Minggu Membaca. Since I was too short to stand on the platform, I had to stand on 'something' to make me even higher to be seen by others on the floor. As a result, big laughs from students and even some teachers broke into the atmosphere of the school hall. However, I didn't feel shy at all. Instead, I continued to present my talk with powerful voice and full of confidence. Finally, I managed to convince them of my talent by having a great applause from everyone in the hall at the end of my talk. Since after that, Pn. Vasanthi approached me and praised for my courage. And, she intended to train me for participating in public speaking competition. She even had once brought me to English College Johor Bahru for learning the speaking skills from the state level public speakers. After waiting the chances for two years, I was finally selected to represent school for English Public Speaking in conjunction with Karnival Pra-Universiti Daerah Kota Tinggi 2009. Being guided by Pn.Vasanthi, I won the 1st place. After that, I was given another chance to represent Daerah Kota Tinggi for Pertandingan Pidato Pencegahan Rasuah Prauniversiti ( BI ) Piala Y.A.B. Menteri Besar Johor Peringkat Negeri Johor 2009. Again, Pn.Vasanthi put in a lot of effort to prepare script and polish my public speaking skills and I won the 3rd place. Later, she selected me again to participate in writing English Short Story in conjunction with Teacher's Day 2010 and I won the 1st place at district level.
 
Thank you, Pn. Vasanthi. My teacher, you have given me a lot of golden opportunities to let me prove myself. Without you, I won't have achieved success. I will always remember what you have told me "Participating actively in public speaking competition is not to burden yourself ; is not only to win the competition, but also to gain valuable experience of speaking in the public which others don't have."Yes, teacher, I know this will stand me in good stead in the future.

Pn.Vasanthi (left) and Jasmine (right)

No comments:

Post a Comment